Monday, February 20, 2012

On Learning Contentment



 So I guess I needed this today!! Seems like so many times lately, I have been having a hard time trusting that God will take care of us... I called several businesses the other day to see if any one is hiring right now, in search of a job for Mike. Only one even sounded very hopeful, so we picked up an application, and Mike filled it out, and took it in this morning! I am really hoping that it will work out, and either way, I still need to remember this: "If God is all you have, you have all you need."

That's such a hard concept for us Americans. Maybe it is for people in general, but I think in America, we are so used to getting whatever we need as soon as we need it. It's hard to remember that God will do what is best for us when I see that we will soon be out of diapers again, or food, or money to pay bills, or... the list goes on, and you can fill in your own needs.

So how do we do it? I guess most of us have probably heard the saying, "Easier said than done." That is usually the case! God has a way of reminding me to keep trusting in Him. It seems that every day that I have a struggle, He brings a reminder into my life to trust Him, just as He did this morning with this picture! If He can give me so many wonderful reminders, so often, then He knows! He knows what we are going through! He knows our struggles! He knows what the future holds! And even though I do not know the future, I can rest in the fact that He is there, and He holds the key to all we need!

So many of our "needs" are really just "wants!" So through this time, perhaps He wants to teach us something. For me, one thing He is teaching is contentment. You know, it really can be hard to be content when you spend part of the day looking at the things that would be nicer than the ones you have (like I did last week!). It would be nice to have that sweater that I think would fit better, would look nicer, and would be one that I actually like! However, the ones I have are not all worn out yet. In fact, they do their job well. So, I will do my best to be content with the ones I have, and remember that there are those in other countries that may not have any sweaters, let alone sometimes a way to heat their homes, or the resources to heat their homes. We in America are blessed, and I know that I, for one, could do better at helping those who are less fortunate!  So, may God teach me to be more content with what I have, and to trust Him for the real needs, and leave the "wants" for later!

~Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment